Inanna - Happy Holidays!

 


(Inanna, Ninshubar, and Ereshkigal are seated before a flatscreen watching “A Year without Santa Claus”.  There is a large quantity of red and green iced brownies on a platter perched on a coffee table in front of them).


INANNA:  Oh, dear.  I hope that Santa Claus can get on his feet to spread Christmas cheer!


ERESHKIGAL:  Nonny, we watch this stupid show year after year and the ending is the same!


NINSHUBAR:  And year after year you two get in a fight about it.  Calm down and enjoy the day.


INANNA:  Do you think Santa Claus is real?


ERESHKIGAL:  Oh, I don’t believe this...


INANNA:  I’m serious!  Lots of people don’t believe we’re goddesses, but we are!


NINSHUBAR:  Nonny, if you look into your heart as a source of generosity and charity, there lies the spirit that is Santa Claus.


(Pause).


INANNA:  You don’t believe a word you just said, do you?


NINSHUBAR:  Well, I believe in generosity and charity—


ERESHKIGAL:  Just not the crap about Santa Claus.


INANNA:  Stop, Sis!  You’re confusing me!


ERESHKIGAL:  That doesn’t take much.


NINSHUBAR:  Ladies, can we PLEASE focus on the show?  Your bickering is distracting me.


(They turn their attention to the flatscreen).


INANNA:  Do you believe in UFOs?


ERESHKIGAL:  Oh, merciless hell...


INANNA:  I believe in UFOs.


NINSHUBAR:  That’s nice.  Can we—


INANNA:  I believe I was abducted by aliens.


ERESHKIGAL:  I believe you ARE an alien.


INANNA:  No, really!  I was in New Mexico trying to plant some cacti when there was this bright light up in the sky...


ERESHKIGAL:  These cacti, what kind of cacti were they?


INANNA:  Um, mescaline.


ERESHKIGAL:  Did you... taste any of these cacti?


INANNA:  Well, yes, but...


ERESHKIGAL:  Ha!  Mystery solved!  You were as high as a kite!


INANNA:  Was not!


NINSHUBAR:  Can we spread some holiday cheer instead of conspiracy theories?


ERESHKIGAL:  If memory serves me, I was there when it happened.


INANNA:  You SAW me get beamed up?


ERESHKIGAL:  I “beamed” you over to the nearest hospital.


INANNA:  There was a bright light, and someone probed my anus.


ERESHKIGAL:  That was me using a RECTAL THERMOMETER, you dunce!


INANNA:  Well it really HURT!  Why didn’t you tell me?


NINSHUBAR:  Ladies, you’re missing the part with the Snow Miser!  Please keep it down.


(Everyone settles down on the couch).


INANNA:  I still say Santa Claus is real.


NINSHUBAR:  Oh, no.


ERESHKIGAL:  And I suppose you believe he rides in a sleigh pulled by eight tiny reindeer?


INANNA:  Of course not!  That’s silly!


ERESHKIGAL:  Then you’re not a total loss.


INANNA:  I believe Santa’s sleigh is drawn by a UFO.


(Ereshkigal jumps up from the couch).


ERESHKIGAL:  That DOES it!  I’m going to the closet to find you a tin foil hat!


(Ereshkigal marches off.  Inanna takes her place on the sofa and reaches down for the plate full of brownies).


INANNA:  (giggles).  What a dope.


NINSHUBAR:  What was all that about?


INANNA:  I just said all that so I could have her share of the brownies!


NINSHUBAR:  I don’t believe this nonsense.


(Suddenly, bright multicolored lights shine through the window).


NINSHUBAR:  What in Heaven?


INANNA:  That’s the mothership!


ERESHKIGAL:  Who is piloting it?


INANNA:  Parliament Funkadelic!


NINSHUBAR:  Oy vey, iz mir.


ERESHKIGAL:  (From front door).  Who the hell are you?  No, I’ve never heard of Bootsy Collins!


HAPPY HOLIDAYS!  - JJB




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ishtar, Courtesy of AI.

Ever More AI Art.

Screenplay for Inanna Episode Three - The Evening Star.